Sustainable action for Promoting Safety (SAPS)of RMG Industries.
Funded By: ManusherJonno Foundation(MJF)
Project Duration: 01 January 2019 to 31 December 2021(Three Years)
To improve knowledge and skills of the targeted beneficiaries and to develop a legal and advocacy strategy that will compel employers to comply with their legal obligations and ensure the workplace safety and social security of workers through improved compliance with the law.
The project targeted 4400 female worker as direct beneficiaries in addition 1080 male and worker. They are the members of Safety Committee, Participation Committee, Local and Sectoral Trade Union, Mid-Level Management Staffs, Anti-Harassment Committee, Canteen Management Committee, employers’ representative organization, workers’ representative organization and workers in general.
Government authority including MoLE (mainly DIFE), Local and National TU, employers’ association including BGMEA, CSOs, Professional bodies including Bangladesh Apparels Professional Society, Women Leaders, Duty Bearers and potential RMG workers are the major stakeholders.
Workplace Safety and Security of workers is ensured and protected through responsible business practice in RMG sector.
Outcome-1: RMG Factory based existing and/or newly formed structures (Workers participation committee- WPC, Safety committee, Anti- Harassment committee and basic union) functioned effectively.
Outcome-2: Workplace cooperation for inclusive & sustainable business was recognized and strengthened.
Outcome-4: Duty bearers & right bearers at different level were mobilized for ensuring RMG workers’ safety & security.
Outputs and Major activities:
1.1)Partner factories’ needs & demands are assessed
- Major activities:Baseline survey, workshops and conference
1.2) Factory based structures are effectively functioning:
- Major activities: Identification and formation of factory based structures, Capacity building training for members of the structures, workshops, Risk Assessment, Periodic Monitoring and Development & Distribution of education materials;
1.3) RMG workers have standard tool to calculate & claim their wage and benefits:
- Major activities: Apps development on wage and service benefits/compensation calculation, App validation workshops with stakeholders and App launching ceremony;
1.4) Anti-Harassment Committee-AHC/ Prevention of Sexual Harassment-POSH Committee formed in selected RMG partner factories, where applicable
- Major activities: Orientation and Discussion meetings
2.1) Mid-level management representatives from both partner and non-partner factories are sensitized to effectively ensure workers’ rights & entitlements
- Major activities: Conducting research/study, Report sharing conference, TOT, Cascade Meetings and peer level training;
2.2) Mutual understanding & cooperation developed among workers &management of partner factories
- Major activities: Periodic consultation meetings, Yearly multi-stakeholders conference and Joint exposure visit;
3.1) A set of recommendation for duty bearers on Relevant Laws, Rules & Policies with specific focus on RMG workers’ safety & social security
- Major activities: Legal review of wage & benefits in relation to International standards, Case study on compensation, report sharing conference, orientation, advocacy meetings and lobby;
3.2) IEC materials developed and used by RMG workers in lobby & campaign
- Major activities: IEC material development and Local & national level campaign.
Dhaka->Mohammadpur, Savar, Mirpur,